Given it reference functions,the CNA carries out the following activities:
- Organisation of intercomparison tests.
- Applied research into the development and implementation of analytical methods for the detection of new analytes.
- Training and improvement courses for the staff of Official Control Laboratories.
- Technical and analytical assistance to those Laboratories that carry out Official Controls. Scientific communications to the network of Laboratories that carry out Official Controls, etc.
Aside from the reference functions of the National Food Centre regarding those matters mentioned throughout the website, the CNA acts as a referent in specific cases and thus participates in various working groups belonging to European forums, such as:
- Aflatoxins in solution, organised by the Community Reference Laboratory IRMM (Institute for Reference Materials and Measurements) - JRC (Joint Research Centre), Geel.